Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Friday, March 25, 2011

My Favorite Part of Rodeo

Well, the Houston Rodeo has come and gone (with 40,000 fried Oreos having been consumed), but let me re-live the yummy memories of fried ooey gooey goodness!

Fried Snickers.  Yes.  Fried Snickers.  Yes.  Yum.   For you skeptics, don't think deep fried like a chicken tender or french fry.  The batter is lighter, and the frying isn't so deep.  The batter reminds me more of Twinky than a Chicken Fried Steak.  The frying process makes the inside goodness ooey, gooey, and delicious.  The Snickers fried confection for example, gets super soft inside.  The melty caramel just dances upon your tongue.  And, of course, the outside chocolate melts just enough to make it creamy.  It's delectable.  Then, that puppy is doused with powdered sugar.  Yum.  I get a Fried Snickers every year at Rodeo.  The Snickers was one of the first fried confections...and truly, it is hard to beat. 

Fried Snickers

Inside the Fried Snickers.  Note the ooey gooey goodness of melty chocolate,
gooey caramel, and warm peanuts

Okay, so each year, I try a new fried sweet treat.  Well, this year, I tried two.  First up, the Reese's.  A Reese's in general is just one of my favorite grocery store candies.  I mean, its hard for me to beat chocolate and peanut butter.  I had to try the Fried Reese's.  But, I personally did not just love the Reese's fried.  Maybe not enough just total blind sweetness (since peanut butter cuts the sweetness of chocolate).  While definitely not bad, the Fried Reese's was just not my fave.

An order of Fried Reese's came with three

Inside the Fried Reece's.

Last up, the Fried S'more.  This item just intrigued me.  Like how exactly do you fry a S'more?  Well, turns out you can pretty much fry anything and the S'more fries up really well.  I think it is my new favorite.  Yes.  Absolutely.  The batter added a soft outer coating to the graham cracker, which held up well to the fry.  The marshmallow.  Ahh...the marshmallow.  Perfectly melty gooey creamy inside.   The chocolate wasn't as melted as I had imagined, but it was still divine.  I liked the S'more with its layers of contrast and deliciousness.  I recommend you get this slice of fried sweet heaven next year at the Rodeo.

Fried S'more

Inside the Fried S'more -- graham cracker, marshmallow, and chocolate
all hot, melty, gooey, ooey, and lovely


No comments:

Post a Comment