Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Thursday, June 2, 2011

French Gourmet Bakery and Cafe

How many times have I driven past both locations of the French Gourmet Bakery?  And never stopped?  Well, you know where this is going -- yesterday I stopped for lunch.   The eatery is definitely themed in a French way, but more like 1990's french country, minus the antiques and simplicity.  This is not a "Guy's Place."  I only saw one man, and he was getting something to go.  And, the customers are definitely an older crowd.  Hip and young this place is not;  however, the service was great, friendly, and quick.

Their menu is small and simple.  And, I actually like that.  Stay focus.  Stay on message.  Stay a French Bakery.  Breakfast consists of pastries (no hot dishes, but sausage and cheese kolaches on weekends).  The lunch menu is made up of sandwiches and salads.   And, with a name like "French Gourmet Bakery," they truly do offer many bakery items from cookies to cakes to breads.

French Gourmet Bakery

I opted for the Chicken Salad Sandwich on Tuscan bread (kind of cross between white and wheat) ($5.95, no sides, just the sandwich).   Yum.   Yum-o.  Yummy.   I liked their Chicken Salad.  I liked it a lot.  I'm not a real fan of fillers in chicken salad.  No fruit or nuts for me.  Just give me the good stuff.  The real deal.  Give me the actual chicken salad.  And, the French Gourmet Bakery did just that.  Creamy.  Moist.  Flavorful.  Delicious Chicken Salad.  The bread was very fresh and soft.  The kind of bread that your teeth just sink right down into.  The partnership of the soft, fresh bread, and the fresh, flavorful chicken salad was perfect. 


Chicken Salad Sandwich

What is a visit to a bakery with out a sweet treat?  So, I ordered some cupcakes.  Well, yes, "some."  I didn't see just single cupcakes so I bought a six pack.  I know.  I know.  But, I did share later on at home.  The cupcakes were excellent.  The icing was thick and creamy with a great buttery flavor.  The cake portion was very dense, yet very moist.  It truly melted in my mouth.  The icing and cake together was an excellent combination working well in perfect flavor harmony.  ($8.99 for 6 cupcakes).


Vanilla Cupcakes

My experience as the French Gourmet Bakery was a good one.  I'll go back. 

French Gourmet Bakery and Cafe
2250 Westheimer Road                        12504 Memorial Drive
Houston, Texas 77098                         Houston, Texas 77024
713-524-3744                                     713-973-6900
www.fgbakery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment