Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Friday, April 8, 2011

Revival Market

Revival Market opened about three weeks ago.  The much anticipated opening was all the buzz in foodie circles and blogs.  Co-owned by Ryan Pera (previously executive chef at The Grove and *17) and Morgan Weber, Revival's focus is on local products -- produce, meats, cheeses, breads, baked goods, etc.  Revival is a small market, but packs a punch with the truly local, fresh inventory.  


Revival Market

I wasn't sure what to expect with the interior design.  Would it be dark and dingy?  Small and cramped?  Nope.  None of the above.  While it is small, the layout works, and the interior is bright, open, clean, and simple.  The staff was extremely nice and helpful, as well.

Butcher Counter and Pastry Counter

If you are looking to do much shopping, Revival Market is not necessarily your spot.  While the produce looked fresh and would be a great place to pick up some jam, tea, olive oil, or bread (made by Houston's Slow Dough Bread Company), the selection is small.    The cheeses are brought to you by our own Houston Dairymaids.

In addition to produce, dry goods, meats, and desserts, Revival offers homemade sandwiches and salads.  While the menu is not large, it is an excellent representation of fresh foods.  I ordered the Smoked Turkey Club ($9), made of smoked turkey breast, arugula, tomato, cheddar, cracklings on Slow Dough Wheat bread.   I'm not a fan of cracklings, but I gave it try.  It didn't do it for me.  I thought it would have a great crisp texture adding a nice balanced variety to the sandwich.  It didn't.  HOWEVER, the sandwich (sans the cracklings) was fabulous!  Everything about the sandwich was fresh and delicious.  Even the mustard was most incredible -- it had the tiny mustard seeds in it.  Yum.   For my side, I ordered the ginger lime slaw.  More yum.  Fresh, crunchy, cool.  It consisted of cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, and cilantro with a light Asian-like dressing.  Very refreshing and a perfect companion to the sandwich.

Smoked Turkey Club with Ginger Lime Slaw

I'm already a fan of Fluff Bake Bar (Pastry Chef - Rebecca Mason), who is providing a large chunk of the sweet treats for Revival.  But, I thought it was "necessary" (yes, necessary) to try some other delectables that she offers.  First up, a Hobbnobb ($1.50) -- milk chocolate covered crunch oatmeal cookie.  Actually, just one side is covered in chocolate, and actually, the cookie was absolutely divine.  It would be perfect with tea, coffee, or after a great sandwich (like today!).  Next up, the Moon Pie ($3).  True to the classic, this Moon Pie incorporates all the qualities of those moon pies you grew up with, you know the ones.  The ones you'd buy at the gas station on a road trip to your grandparents' house.  Anyway, this delectable confection had the perfect proportion of milk chocolate, marshmallow filling, and graham cracker cookie.  Hello Yumminess!


Hobbnobb and Moon Pie

Finally, the Strawberry Pie (slice $3, whole pie $22).  My first three words after biting into my slice:  Oh. My. Gosh.  Yes, it was that good.  Imagine if strawberry cobbler and strawberry pie had a baby -- this is what you would get.  A cobbler in a pie crust.  Although, my slice was cold (due to eating straight at Revival), it was delicious, delectable, and delightful cold!!  I can imagine how scrumptious it would be warm. With ice cream, too!  Wow.  Next time, I'll take it home and do so!  The top of the pie was much like a crumbly cobbler.   I could taste the brown sugar and butter.  Mmmmmmmm.  The strawberry filling was both sweet and tart at once.  The crust wasn't as thick or flaky as I would have liked, but the fabulous topping made up for that.


Strawberry Pie

I loved my first trip to Revival Market.  I predict a successful future ahead for them.  I look forward to going back to buy some steaks to grill at home AND trying the Revival Dog (prepared at the cafe) -- Smoked Mangalitsa hot dog, green tomato relish, chicharron on a Slow Dough pretzel bun.  Doesn't that sound magnificent?  They sell out quickly each day!  ($8). 

Revival Market
550 Heights Boulevard (at White Oak)
Houston, Texas  77007
713-880-8463
http://www.revivalmarket.com/

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this soon for lunch! Thanks for the good info. I don't like cracklings either - the guys I work with eat them ALL THE TIME, just popping them into their mouths like potato chips. GROSS.

    ReplyDelete