Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hubcap Grill

Seriously?  This place is considered one of the best Burger spots in Houston?  Really?  I was SO super disappointed.  As I sat there for 30 minutes waiting on my burger, I thought this better be the best burger I've ever tasted.   And, not so much.

I like the fact that the eatery is a small hole-in-the-wall dive.  Unassuming places usually make the best burger joints, don't you think?  However, we should have just taken our burgers to go because the seating is so limited we were sitting on top of other people (I barely exaggerate).  The seating is a mish mash of whatever they found in the back alley.  Which again, a mish mash can make for a great burger dive...IF the food is any good.

Our burgers (the Cheese Burger and the Jalepeno Double Cheese Burger) were so dry.  No juiciness.  No grease.  No flavor.  No seasonings.  And, the patties were all of maybe 1/4 of an inch in thickness.  The bun:  it was too huge and completely overpowered the pathetic patty.  The bun was also dry and flavorless.   Let me note something:  the burger below is a double patty burger.  Also of note: the bun is hard and dry, can't you just see it?  Ugh.



The Fries.  Well, they weren't super great either.  Soggy.  No crispness.  No seasons.  No flavor.  The Chili Cheese Fries were a little better than the regular fries -- because the fries had some flavor assistance with the chili and the cheese.  But even those I found to be bland.  Spice it up people!  Add some seasonings for goodness sake!


Needless to say, I do not plan on going back.  There are better burgers in Houston (Beck's Prime or Zelko Bistro to name just two....). 

Hubcap Grill
1111 Prairie
Houston, Texas 77002
http://www.hupcapgrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment