Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Sunday, October 24, 2010

Picnic

Who doesn't love a picnic?  Just the idea is so merry, happy, and fun!  And, so is Picnic.  This bakery and coffee shop is quaint and charming with picnic tables inside where you can eat your lunch or partake in coffee and a scone.  You can eat sandwiches, soups, muffins, or cookies in house, or you can take a boxed lunch to go. 

I'm a Boxed Lunch kind of girl.  I guess it takes me back to the five year old in me...I love a package with all the necessities packed neatly inside.  The boxed lunch comes with a sandwich, fruit salad side, chips, cookie, and, of course, a pickle ($8.50).


I opted for the Egg Salad Sandwich.  The Egg Salad was creamy and include the addition of chopped green olives.  How fantastic is that?  The green olives added another layer of tang texture contrasted against the soft creamy eggs.  I could also taste the pepper which gave the salad a pop of flavor and prevented it from being bland.  The salad was placed between two very soft slices of sourdough bread.  Excellent, delish pairing.


I tried a couple of cookies...I know, I know, but I just had to!  First up the New Yorker Lemon Sugar ($1.00).  Crisp.  Good lemony flavor, yet subtle.  Nice cookie.  I don't have many other descriptors for it -- it was simple and really delicious. 

I also tried the Peanut Butter Cookie ($1.00)  I was a little disappointed only because everything else I had there was so divine.  It's peanut butter-ness was too subtle and it was too dry and crumbly.  But, to end on another happy note: The Cranberry Pecan Bread was heavenly ($4.50).  Soft.  Perfect berry to nut ratio.  Really fantastic.  And,  the Cranberry Orange Muffin was savory, too ($1.30)  Moist.  Dense.  A little crunch on top of the muffin.  It was yumminess in a baked good.


I like Picnic.  It is a delightful little spot for eating in or taking out.  The food is consistent and tasty.  I'm going back....

Picnic
1928 Bissonnet
Houston, Texas  77005
http://www.picnicboxlunches.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment