Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Chocolate Bar

Every Hour IS Happy Hour at The Chocolate Bar.  That is their motto: "Where Every Hour is Happy Hour."  I could not agree more.  Heaven = Chocolate. Is there anything grander, more fulfilling, more satisfying, more decadent than an entire store/dessert bar dedicated to Chocolate?  Nope.

Upon entering The Chocolate Bar, you see walls of chocolate essentials (why, yes they are essentials).  Items like Chocolate pizza, chocolate bricks, and....hello...Texas Frito Brittle, tantalize my chocolate fantasies. 

The Chocolate Bar Confections

But, that's not all.  Oh no!  The Chocolate Bar offers many chocolate ice creams.  Yes, creaming frozen chocolate confections designed to be savored with a spoon.  And, then....and then....there are the cakes, the cookies, and the cheesecakes.  Chocolate = Heaven.


Many Chocolate Cakes at The Chocolate Bar

With choices like those...where to begin?  What to sample?  I MADE myself -- contained myself -- stopping at 3 decadent, delicious, dangerous desserts. 

First, the Junkyard Cake.  Scrumptious.  Ahhhhhh....SEVEN different chocolate bars are folded into Bavarian Cream.  I mean, did I say Scrumptious!  The seven corners of heaven include:  Butterfingers, Kit Kat, Twix, Baby Ruth, Nestle's Crunch, Milky Way, and Mars.  Very sweet filling in a semi-sweet, moist chocolate crust.  A nice contrast between the super sweet and the semi sweet.  A little of this cake goes a long way -- so it is excellent to share -- or save for later (if you can resist digging in again 5 minutes later). 

Junkyard Cake

Next up: The Toll House Pie.  I go into this tasting with a bias....I LOVE chocolate chip cookies.  And, did you know the Chocolate Chip Cookie was invented in Massachusetts at the Toll House Inn, why of course.   Anyway, I love me some good old Toll House Pie.  And, this one did NOT disappoint.  A cookie made into a pie.  BRILLIANT.   It was moist.  Not too sweet.  Oooey.  Gooey.  Melty Chocolate (served warm with chocolate sauce and chocolate chips).  Velvety.  The pie filling coated my mouth with the delicious, luscious goodness.  


Toll House Pie
 
Rounding out my Chocolate Trifecta...Aunt Etta's Cake.   What a perfect simple chocolate cake.  No bells.  No whistles.  Nothing that got in the way of enjoying this rich, decadent, delectable, delightful, pleasurable chocolate cake.   This confection is not overly-sweet, but yet still very rich.  Layers upon layers of chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate-y frosting.  This simple dessert really can satisfy your most intense chocolate craving.  Simplistic perfection.

Aunt Etta's Cake

Well, needless to say, I have indeed been to The Chocolate Bar before, and I will definitely be going back.  It is one of my favorite places.  As a matter of fact, I send visitors to Houston there.  It is a fabulous spot in our fantastic city.  Every hour truly is Happy Hour at The Chocolate Bar.

The Chocolate Bar
(two locations)
1835 W. Alabama (the original)     OR   2521 University Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77098                           Houston, Texas 77005
713-520-8599                                       713-520-8888
www.theoriginalchocolatebar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment