Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kiran's Restaurant and Bar

I really like Indian food, but I must admit I'm pretty much a novice on the subject.  The various dishes and terms are most foreign to me.  But, I do know that I like me some Indian flavors!  So....I went to Kiran's today.


Dining Room at Kiran's

I started with the Mushroom Samosas ($8).  A samosa was described to me as an Indian Empanada (which, is a much more familiar term to this native Texans girl).  Empanadas? Sort of.  But  we all agreed these fried stuffed pastries were really good.  I mean, truly delicious.  I wish I had had a platter full of these puppies!  Along with the chopped wild mushrooms, the samosas included melted goat cheese and pieces of sundried tomatoes.  There was a hint of spice to these little guys.  And the samosas were served with a side of fig chutney, the most perfect accompaniment.  Magnificent.

Mushroom Samosas with Fig Chutney

I ordered the Tandoori Chicken for my entree (chicken, yogurt and spices cooked in a clay oven) ($18).  My chicken was fantastic -- very moist and tender.  A really nice smoked-type of flavor.   The dish was served with Apricot Biryani (aka rice), Dal Makhani (type of thick, chunky gravy made of lentils and beans), Naan (oven baked flat bread), and perfectly cooked crisp-tender vegetables.  Also, on the side, a mango chutney. All superb.  All delicious.  The Biryani was moist and flavorful.  The Dal Makhani was great for dipping my Naan.  And, that mango chutney was a tad sweet with a touch of heat.

Tandoori Chicken

While not an expert on Indian Food, great experiences like this one today make me anxious to learn more about the Indian food tradition and historical flavors.  Kiran's was an excellent experience.  While the service started out strong, it did peter out somewhat during our visit.  However, our server was funny and friendly, and extremely knowledgeable.  I am looking forward to going back!

Kiran's Restaurant and Bar
4100 Westheimer
Houston, Texas 77027
713-960-8472
http://www.kiranshouston.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment