Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sweet

We have a new cupcake cafe in town.   A new addition to City Centre.  And, if you know me, you know that cupcakes = me!  So, off I went....

Sweet is a cute cupcake cafe.  The weather on Saturday was beautiful and the bakery had its doors open on two sides of the cafe.  The sunshine was gorgeous and the cool breezes made the bakery super inviting.  A chalk board menu and tiers of cupcakes welcome customers.  It's appropriately cute for sure!


Sweet

Tables outside allowed us to soak up the weather and dive into the yummy looking confections.  We tried several:  Chocolate with chocolate icing, Vanilla with vanilla icing, Peanut Butter, S'more, and their whoopie pie. (all cupcakes: $3.35, whoopie pie: $2.00)

S'more and Vanilla with Vanilla Buttercream

I think the biggest hurdlee cupcake bakers have is mastering the moist cake.  Too many cupcakes simply contain a dry cake.  And, I'm super sad to say that Sweet makes the same mistake.  The frostings were delicious -- creamy, good sweetness - buttery ratio.   Yummy buttercreams.


Peanut Butter Cupcake

Our favorite was the Peanut Butter, which actually had the moistest cake.  Great peanut butter flavor batter.  Icing was a heavenly piped ooey, gooey, yummy peanut butter.  Hello Divinity!  Second favorite was the S'more -- thin graham cracker crust at the bottom, chocolate cake cupcake, topped miles high with marshmallow fluff, dipped in melted chocolate.  This.  Was. Good.  Rich.  Very satisfying.


S'more Cupcake

Most disappointing was the Whoopie Pie.  The outside was a very dry red velvet cake with vanilla buttercream inside.  I loved the concept.  But, it just didn't work for us.


Whoopie Pie

Sweet has only been open a week to date and I well know kitchens need time to sort things out.  So, I'm really hoping Sweet can master the moistness.  I loved the location of Sweet.  The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and nice.  I loved the creativity of the Peanut Butter and S'more cupcakes.  I'll have to go back in a few weeks and try them again.  I know, I know, any excuse to go eat cupcakes.....


Chocolate with Chocolate Buttercream

Sweet
801 Town & Country Boulevard (in City Centre, near Yardhouse)
Houston, Texas 777024
713-64.SWEET (79338)
http://www.sweethouston.com/

1 comment:

  1. The Carrot Cupcake was suuuuuper yummy. They were out of the PB, but we have heard from various people that it's a favorite. Also, I enjoyed the macaron. Still nothing in Houston can even touch Saint Cupcake in Portland.

    ReplyDelete