Devouring Houston: Exploring Houston One Bite at a time

Houston has so many incredible food establishments...from sumptuously designed restaurants to fun storefronts selling gourmet cookies. From Mexican Food Carts to the Best BBQ in the World. And...I want to expore it one bite at a time.



Monday, September 27, 2010

Anvil Bar & Refuge

Anvil is not just an ordinary bar.  There is nothing ordinary about it.  It's splendor comes from its simple interior design with brilliant, astute bartenders.  The establishment "prepares cocktails in the classic tradition - from standards that date back to the cocktails' earliest era."
Anvil truly is a refuge from ordinary drinking.  The bartenders are more like cocktail artists and historians.  They know their liquors, techniques, and histories like no other.



I asked our bartender to recommend a drink for me.  He made me the Corpse Survivor.  Never heard of it?  Me either.  I loved it.  I don't remember what all was in it - but it did contain absinthe (made from wormwood, tasting like licorice or anise).   He gave me an excellent absinthe history lesson (complete with absinthe taste).   And, yes, absinthe is now legal in the U.S. (for about 2 years now). 


Anvil has true cocktail tools and resources, with knowledgeable craftsman mixing the grown up concoctions.  They also have micro brews and yummy munchies such as Margherita Pizza, German Street Pretzel, and Bruschetta.

I very much look forward to my next trip back to Anvil.  Oh, and they have a "Brunch Menu," too -- full of brunch cocktails.  Yum!

1424 Westheimer Road
Houston, Texas 77006
anvilhouston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment